Wednesday, February 27, 2008

william buckley came to our house once

I just saw in the news yesterday that William Buckley, the conservative columnist died. When we were living in Hong Kong, Mr. Buckley came to film a series for his tv show. As part of my dad's job...my parents ended up hosting a cocktail hour for Mr. Buckley and the group that came with him. I ended up meeting Donna Shalala (at that time, head of U. of Wisconsin -- before she was on the Clinton Cabinet), one of the Rockefellers, and of course Mr. Buckley. I was going to Brown at the time, and there was no way I was going to talk about my school with him. So instead, we ended up chatting about playing the harpsichord...I know, a bit odd, but it was a fun conversation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, Mark told me about this episode once! I was just floored by this revelation. Did he sound as pompous in real life as he did on TV? The guy just seemed so full of himself.