Monday, January 21, 2008

remembering MLK

I'm watching tv right now, seeing a replay of Martin Luther King's famous speech at the Lincoln Memorial. When I was little, I remember when my dad played this speech on a reel to reel -- so that I could learn about the civil rights movement, and just how powerful this "I Have A Dream" speech was. (I've linked to the youtube video in case you want to watch it).

It's amazing to think about just how far we have come in this society, from one where racism was so deeply embedded into society, to one where someone like Barack Obama (who identifies as black, but is also hapa, like me) can run for president.
It's incredibly inspiring.

In that line of thought, there's a movie out now called the Great Debaters about students from a historic black college in Marshall Texas (my grandmother's home town), were able to debate at Harvard and defeat the USC team. I haven't seen it yet, and I understand that it's "inspired" by the events.

Other random thoughts: I still keep seeing reporters talk about the "african american community" as if it's just some monolithic entity. It's a bit disappointing that there isn't more nuance.

p.s. I haven't been in the mood to post lately, as I've been busy exploring social networking sites like Facebook. It's going to take me a while to regain my bearings on what I want this blog to be about.

No comments: