Sunday, November 11, 2007

babies on planes

I survived my 15 hour flight to Hong Kong on Cathay. I was really expecting the seats to be more comfortable, and while they were wider, the leg room was quite bad. You could adjust the seats two-ways, but with my long legs, the foot rest got in the way. Originally, Mama and I were in the middle of a four-seater but when Mama did some quick thinking and asked this young woman who was frowning at the end of the row if she wanted to sit next to her friend. Thank goodness, that way we were able to get up just about every hour, and I could sort of stick my legs out.

We sat behind one of the most cheerful 3 year old kids. He was Chinese but lived in the states, and no matter what the hour, when he popped his head up to look over, he always smiled. I couldn't believe he was still in a good mood on such a long flight...with NO TOYS. Who goes on a long trip unprepared like that.I made him a paper airplane and a paper sailboat. He was very cute and mixed his English and Chinese, spoke with an American intonation, like "Can you make me a another fay-gay (airplane), and "draw the faygay with my gugu (auntie) on it."

Lots of toddlers on the plane. Meanwhile, the row behind us was a family of 5, in 4 seats. Grandpa, mom, dad, 2 or 3 year old, and baby/toddler. And boy, was the little boy unhappy. He pretty much cried or whined the entire flight. Exhausting!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Crying kids are the reason why an ipod is mandatory on a flight for me. Put in headphones, turn it up, and lie back. Voila, it's like they're not even there!